Dating in maidstone
The Archbishop's Palace, situated on the banks of the River Medway was gifted to the Archbishops of Canterbury in the 13th century.
It was here in 1381 that Chancellor Sudbury, the incumbent Archbishop at the time, imprisoned the radical preacher John Ball.
In the early Middle Ages the town was the home of the Guild of Corpus Christi.
Members of the guild employed a chaplain who said prayers for their souls when they died and looked after its members in old age and in times of sickness.
They were also among the first to extract stone (the sandstone known as Kentish ragstone) from the area. Before the arrival of the Normans, Maidstone had been the meeting place of the hundred of Maidstone in the Lathe of Aylesford.
The Normans, in their turn recognised the worth of the area. Heathland to the north of the town (today the suburb of Penenden Heath) was the site of shire moots or regional assemblies and the location of a key trial in the years immediately following the Norman Conquest.
Maidstone’s town status was confirmed when, in 1549, it was incorporated.St Simon Stock Catholic School.: Finance Assistant Salary as detailed: St Simon Stock Catholic School.: We wish to appoint a well-qualified, resourceful and flexible Finance Assistant. St Simon Stock Catholic School.: Science Laboratory Technician Salary as detailed: St Simon Stock Catholic School.: Join our highly-successful Science department and form part of our team 3 Laboratory Technicians. St Simon Stock Catholic School.: Design & Technology Technician Salary as detailed: St Simon Stock Catholic School.: We seek to appoint an enthusiastic and hardworking person to join our friendly but busy department. KM Media Group Limited: Local Democracy Reporter Salary on Application: KM Media Group Limited: A unique opportunity has arisen to be part of a ground-breaking initiative between the BBC and regional publishers. The History of Maidstone and its environs goes as far back as Mesolithic times.In 1146 the Cistercians from Clairvaux built an abbey at Boxley, to the northeast of the town; it was destroyed in 1538.In the same period there were two hospitals here built for the care of wayfarers, especially those on pilgrimage; and a “college” of secular priests.